PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2017, 09:58
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
FWIW I sometimes (in a tandem seat aircraft where the pilot cannot see what I am doing) deliberately place my leg or hand firmly in a position to restrict the full travel of the joystick when the pilot is doing their 'full and free movement' stir the pudding part of the pre take-off checks. On more than one occasion I have had the pilot say "full free movement in the correct sense" and carry on when they definitely didn't have full movement.

Some kind of hesitate at that point knowing it doesn't feel quite right but may then carry on.

Admittedly most pilots will say something like - "umm.. are your legs in the way?" but it is interesting that people are expecting that check to always work because it always has and are thinking the fault lies with their perception and just assume it is them that is wrong, not the aeroplane.

The other one (admittedly mostly students rather than licensed pilots but not 100%) is some will say "T&Ps in the green" when the oil temp has not yet reached the green on the first flight of the day either because they are saying it by rote or are not sure what to do if the check fails the "standard" response so pretend it is right.

Again most say something more appropriate but it happens.