PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2017, 15:22
Danny42C

Chugalug (#10852), (the link wouldn't play, probably me).

Yes, knowing what I know now (and thank you, FED (#10853) for the enthralling history of the firm), I hang my head in shame for having equated it with a Quetta bazaar stall. In my defence, I must draw attention to the common practice, in the days of the Raj, of using a well known London place name to add a touch of class to your scruffy shop or stall in the bazaar.

Thus you had: "The Park Lane Dental Emporium", complete with a large, hideous shop sign of a grinning row of snappers, these would be dental mechanics or (please God, no) Dentists.

It was only in recent years that Google told me that they are a perfectly respectable, long established firm, purveyors of high class watches to the "Carriage Trade" (ie all the Sahibs and Tuans etc. over the whole of SE Asia).

On only one point, I must qualify FED's story. My dial simply says: "West End Watch Co," and below, just "Bijou". And the screwed back is not decagonal but has a triangle of cut-outs round the circular rim. Attacking these (unskilfully) with Spencer Wells forceps, to have a look inside, I added a triangle of scratches to the serial no. and the firm's little "star" logo. But, having got in, found "Longines" on the movement - and swelled with pride !

Additionally, we wore washable white cotton one-piece straps; these got soaked in acid sweat; leaving little "tramlines" of the seam stiches eaten into the stainless steel.

Observe that the frugal RAF did not lavish mini Big Bens on "Drivers, Airframe" in those days, (tho' I think Bomber Command Navs got an issue). You'd got a clock in the cockpit (always the first thing to vanish after a crash), hadn't you ? Be happy ! You want your own watch ? Well, buy one.

À propos nothing in particular: a couple of blue-rinsed visitors is admiring the well-hung Achilles statue in Park Lane ...... "No, Marylou - Big Ben is a Clock ".

Danny.