PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - current employment outlook
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2017, 10:40
cefey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

As you probably understood, there are no real answer, just bunch of opinions. Let me offer you mine analyse of the situation.

1. Right now itīs a peak in aviation. How long will it last? Hard to say. Probably for another year or so. if you are lucky, you might get a job in an airliner. But you might just miss it. How long before another "good times"? Few years. That means, you will be close to your 50s and chance of getting airline job will be quite slim.

2. There are different "peaks", depending on the region. Europe is slowest. In USA/Asia, they come earlier and finish later. Getting first airliner job over there might be hard, but small aeroplanes/instructing is a valid option.

3. Now, you have to consider. Are you willing to move from Danmark to Indonesia? What about your family?

4. Work stability. Even in Europe is very popular (amongst companies) to make pilot self-employed and hire them via 3rd part. Zero job security. In Asia, you might get fired the same day for no reason.

5. Money. Only "good" money is in biz/airliner. Instructing, most likely, wonīt be enough for you. Itīs a good choice for 18-25 yo, without family. So, unless you can rely on your wife/have a lot of money saved, your life quality might decrease.

6. Where will you instruct? In Danmark, I would think, there are very few students. You will fly a couple of hours a week. And that is during the summer. In winter, probably, not even that.
For instructing you need to go to USA/Spain/England/Poland. You will have to rent apt there. Will your family stay in Danmark? Then you need to pay for 2 apt (bills, at least).

Thatīs main things to consider.
If you are willing to move away and let your life quality decrease (unless you have a lot of money saved and donīt need to work anymore) - go for it. You will find an instructing job for sure.
if you are lucky, you might end up flying "big and shiny".

Another possibility is to take FI license and have it as a hobby, next to your normal job. You will be able to fly and really enjoy it. There is no risk for you involved.

Anyway, good luck!