PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after take off in light piston engine twins
Old 10th Jun 2017, 13:32
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
I did the second half of my CPL and my MECIR in a Seneca 1 with an Instructor who is still well known and respected with, shall we say, `older` Pilots in the Industry.

His initials are IAK, better known as TK.

His technique for simulated engine failures were; After Take off, using the mixture, hiding the levers behind something handy. Sometimes he would hide the levers but not fail an engine, just to keep you on your toes!!

In level flight at a safe cruising altitude he would turn the fuel off! Generally when he reached for a cigarette because he kept the packet on the fuel selectors!

I don`t know if he ever twigged but whenever I saw his hand go down to his fag packet, I knew an engine was about to `fail.`

I have no argument with all the simulated failures he gave me, and they were countless!

Simply because I am convinced that they more than adequately prepared me for the three genuine failures I subsequently experienced in my later flying time in PNG.

Even if they were in Bongo Vans!