PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ties Cut With Qatar
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2017, 14:54
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOGA, yes I have visited the USAAF cemetery near Cambridge. And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that the Pacific War wasn't fought by the US alone.

As for where I saw these medals, that the wearers told me for UK service, I saw them at Lakenheath and one who was on a drug interception joint op in Belize. I have no idea about US ribbons, but unless three people independently played the same joke, I am assuming they weren't winding me up. One did tell me that the UK was categorised a combat theatre in the early 90s. That however is not the point, is it? The point was, as made by Harry, that a lot of Americans were proud to fund and support the IRA during the 70s, 80s and early 90s, especially in Boston and NYC. Not a huge percentage, I'm sure, but enough to fund them and lead to deaths into four figures, and it wasn't seen as shameful.

The timing of this local trouble also seems rather coincidental. It may be that the US did nothing at all, but it does appear that something during Trumps visit has stirred things up, just like he is stirring in Europe.