PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after take off in light piston engine twins
Old 6th Jun 2017, 08:30
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
Committed height is bollocks. (more on that)

15 seconds to go through the mantra...about right, including stabilising. Should be doable quicker at test stage.

The reason i call bollocks on committed height comes from my limited knowledge of what is taught in BPPP.
Their training on barons, is that if the flaps and wheels are not up, then it it close both throttles and land ahead. Treat the aeroplane as a single.

As for an instructor doing the simulation by a mixture cut...that will be the end of the flight for me. Its a training flight! Throttle cut, that way if i get it wrong, then either of us can bring the throttle up again. Sure still not instantaneous, but a dammed sight quicker if you are 3/4 through the drill and need power.
Do you mean committal height? If so then I have to disagree. Asymmetric committal height is something all light twin drivers should think about for every landing. Below that height you're committed to land as a single engine go around will most likely result in a touch down anyway.

I've never heard of a commit height for departure. Blue line achieved and gear up are the milestones for departure.

Simulating engine failures by closing the throttle isn't the best method in my opinion.

A mixture cut is kinder in the engine pistons and rings and gives indications that more closely resemble a real engine failure in a normally aspirated aircraft. In other words the manifold pressure and RPM indications mimic a real engine failure.

Closing the throttle gives a false manifold pressure indication and the throttle lever is in the wrong place for the drills that need to take place.

I've never had an issue bringing the power up from mixture cut.