PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an ATPL equal to BSc or BA?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 15:43
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
portsharbourflying.... Not sure I agree with you, but respect your opinion. and you have a valid point about getting a first degree, but the cost!. I have to add I have known pilots to do a masters or PhD, without a first degree, on the basis of a UK ATPL and research and experience in aviation. For example a Masters Aviation Management, I see not need for an ATPL holder and experienced line pilot to hod a first degree.

As for PPL, I recently looked at the GCSE in meteorology and climate, and I would say that is comprobable to the PPL Meteorology, I would say A levels are comparable to the CPL theory and practical.

As for equating the ATPL to a first degree, its not just the theorectical exams but the practical skills set aquired in flying, such as the practical skill set an undergraduate might aquire. say as a biochemist or in genetics.

I think that these days degree courses are highly variable, Mathematics being the most difficult degree in my opinion and at the other end of the scale, BSc Surf Science and Technology (Plymouth University), BSc Golf Management (Birmingham Universiity), BA Creative Writing (UEA), surely the ATPL theory, technicals IR and 1500 hrs flying is more worthy of equivalent degree status than the three previously mentioned degrees.

Last edited by Homsap; 3rd Jun 2017 at 15:55.