PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane forced to turn back after passenger tries to enter cockpit
Old 31st May 2017, 23:29
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the article linked above a claim that the device was taped to the perp's chest:

Another caller, Russell, said his brother-in-law was on the plane, and described how the man had the device strapped to his body.

"Apparently a gentleman wearing a beanie stormed into the business class section of the aeroplane screaming that he wanted to see the pilot, and he had a device strapped to his chest," Russell told 3AW.

"Three or four people in the business class section I suppose abandoned their champagne and their orange juice and they gang-tackled him to the ground. They sat on him until they discovered the device, I think it was a transistor radio, gaffer taped to his chest."

Russell said that his brother-in-law described how, once the plane landed, the police stayed "about five miles away" from the plane.

"His words were [they were] 'probably having a meeting on occupational health and safety' on how they were going to get into the plane," Russell said.
A colleague who landed a military transport plane after a bomb threat years ago had a similar response from the fire crew upon landing. As instructed, he cleared the runway, set the brake and shut down the engines. The fire trucks came racing toward the plane and then stopped a few hundred feet away. He asked if he and his crew should evacuate and was given 'stand by'. He had seen enough and led by example in a rapid evacuation. He had a chat with the fire crew and was told that their orders were not to approach any closer until the 'all clear' was given. I guess that was to save the trucks and crash crew if there really was a bomb and it went off.