PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2017, 07:54
dsc810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
As previously posted, the electricity supply companies have refuted BA's claim that there was a surge in the power supply.
....and anyway even my UPS unit from APC will protect against both under and over volts as well as surges.
Most recently an 11KV fault took out 2 phases and left one (mine) on.
This resulted in all sorts of power spikes and gyrations with the voltage (UK) on my line raising to 283 volts briefly before it settled down at 277.
My UPS simply cut in and took over regulating the voltage down to normal one and continued to do so for the next hour.
Then it took over completely when SSE cut the 11KV feed totally and instead installed a lorry mounted generator at the local substation while they took two days to sort out the damage.

Mine is a simple "off line" type UPS which monitors and switches in and out according to the incoming line conditions
A commercial grade "online type" UPS would be far better at smoothing out disturbances.
Online type ups's sit continuously between the incoming supply and the items protected so the feed is actually from the UPS at all times.