PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Heritage in Art - Sea King
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2017, 20:00
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the comments. Back in March; I climbed or rather walked up Snowdon on a day that epitomised a classic 'Rescue waiting to happen' day. There was no telephone signal and I literally watched a wall of cloud enter and obliterate the Llanberis valley near the cafe at the start of the Miners & Pyg tracks. Having very much felt the ambience of the mountain I completed further research as to how best combine the raw beauty of the mountain with the vibrance of a Yellow Sea King. Had I opted for the miserable day I experienced the result would have been atmospheric but not necessarily recogniseable. The strong shadows cast in the horseshoe area were perfect for creating form (3D). I am familiar with mountain flying and the unpredictable effects of wind and so opted for a 'power in hand' but relatively slow climb towards the summit. The crewman working hook in hand is just as easy preparing for task as he could equally be wrapping it up post mission - that is for the viewer to decide. The canvas is 36" X 24" and as professional quality paint has been used, the painting will last forever. The painting will soon be a family heirloom, and an era of RAF history has been preserved ad infinitum.