PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 15:06
Nialler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MG23
If BA had high-availability IT, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That rumour seems dubious to me, but having worked with Indian outsourcing in a previous life, it's not that dubious.
I've refused contracts where one particular outsourcer was involved. No names, obviously. The practice has been in the very large systems I've worked on to keep the crown jewels at home. Functions such as security, systems design and management remain in the home territory while some application development and support can more easily be taken on by an appropriate outsourcer with the right skills. The problem is that the skills required for very high-end computing are relatively new to India. It's also a mindset. You've or, worse, caused a problem on of these machines? First step, push way from the keyboard ; second step beginning ring teammates and the boss. Deliberate. Running at the problem almost always makes it worse. Declare a disaster if needed. The latter is the problem. Everyone is afraid of that word. In decades I've seen that anything short of 737 crashing into a data center will not be treated as a disaster. Surely it can be fixed?

It isn't like that. That single message about a pointer error can proliferate rapidly and be compounded by errant efforts to airbrush it away.

Sorry for using a flight forum for going on about this, but I so enjoy reading what the flight jocks have to say that I can't help contributing from inside the climate rooms I haunt.