PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 11:00
Sonny_Jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p.j.m
The "Hi Tech" parks in India where outsourcers run their operations from OFTEN have power outages (once a day is common). Believe it or not, they also have rats running across the floors.
I read that the 'power outage' was at their Heathrow datacentre, nothing to do with India.

Originally Posted by DuncanF
According to someone who knows someone ... this is not a simple power failure. There has been a "failure" of core routers via the power supplies/backup power supplies to these routers. A targeted attack has not been ruled out. In some areas the network has up to six levels of resiliency, and these outer resilient layers have been targeted first.

This has been across multiple data centres, not all in the UK. In fact the primary UK data centre was the last to fall off the network. The underlying applications are mostly available, but inaccessible due to the network being down.
If you have the capability to carry out such a complex and coordinated attack, why would you attack BA instead of other much higher value targets. Considering your 'friend of a friend' doesn't know that BA has it's DCs at Heathrow, I'm going to take that information with a extremely large pinch of salt. Considering the 'Ambulance Chasers' are monitoring this forum, it's downright negligent to be posting information that's clearly wrong.

Also, I wouldn't call something 'mostly available' if it was completely inaccessible.