PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverted, unloading and reducing angle of attack on Modern Jet Aircraft
Old 28th May 2017, 10:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following on from Markkal: Slight thread creep, but I wonder at the merits of mandatory UPRT in a civil airliner (simulator) when there are airlines out there who do not encourage manually flown visual circuits. The 3 yearly 5 mins rock&roll regulation satisfying tick the box item might be considered to be a sop to those who feel a need to be seen to be doing something to improve pilot handling. Does it really? For an airliner to get into such a predicament would likely to be accompanied by some major failure first that has resulted in LOC. In the sim UPRT is conducted in a perfectly serviceable a/c. My imagination is struggling to see how an airliner can get into that situation. OK, at the top of the altitude envelope, sneaking over a TS might cause something hairy, but you shouldn't be there in the first place; micro-bursts seem to cause vertical displacements; vortex wash causes roll. What are the numbers of annual worldwide occurrences of these that requires mandatory training? I can think of much more likely scenarios that will cause a combination of handling difficulties with additional instrument display failures. Have an engine malfunction with associated loss of pitot data and see what the guys can do. Bird strikes don't always cause just a loss of thrust. You can add in volcanic ash issues. For me these would be more rewarding & meaningful learning sessions.

Last edited by RAT 5; 28th May 2017 at 12:59.