PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC 12 practice turn backs after simulated engine failure after take off
Old 20th May 2017, 01:23
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
The last sentence tells me that it was what the crew did, not that it was a procedure endorsed by the RAAF, and on which crews were trained for on that particular type
I can offer some light re turn backs on Winjeels. I was a QFI at Uranquinty in 1956 on Winjeels when the type was first introduced. Certainly turn backs were never considered as a training exercise.
Several years later circa 1960 we had a Winjeel at No 10 Squadron Townsville along with the Lincoln Mk 31 Long nose. By then I was the squadron QFI on the Lincolns, Winjeel and the unit Dakota.

A new Squadron Leader arrived on posting to Townsville to be flight commander. He came from CFS where he was an instructor. There were Winjeels at CFS and he was experienced on type.

As was customary, it fell to me to give him a dual check on each aircraft he would fly at Townsville, including the Winjeel. We took off from the then Runway 02. It is a long runway. At around 200 feet I closed the throttle and announced "simulated engine failure" full expecting he would lower the nose and land straight ahead on the ample length remaining. I planned to tell him to go-around once it was clear he could easily land ahead.

Instead he simultaneously lowered the nose and ripped into a 60 angle of bank through 180 degrees turn to land back the way we came. I was unable to prevent this happening as any interference in the turn would be potentially dangerous. The aircraft touched down nicely and we stopped. ATC were not expecting this and nor was I.

After a short and serious discussion about this antic he explained that CFS taught turn backs in Winjeels. I had never heard of this before.