PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA class2 head injury more than 10 years ago
Old 19th May 2017, 08:15
Fostex

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there,

I have had similar, I suffered a head injury in 2005 when some kind person knocked me off my bike while I was out training and left me unconscious in the road. At the time I was concussed and had a small subdural haematoma visible on the head CT but was this was without sufficient mass to allow it to be treated conservatively. I spent approx 2 weeks in hospital due to other musculo-skeletal injuries and was then discharged, I did not receive any neuro follow-up. Subsequently I had no long term issues related to the above and am fit and healthy.

I obtained my Class 2 initial in 2010 from the UK CAA. At the time I needed to provide a report by a consultant neurologist who reviewed my history. The CAA AMS subsequently granted me a Class 2 initial without restriction.

In 2012 I went to obtain my Class 1 initial with the UK CAA. I was again required to submit a further neurologist's report along with a recent brain MRI. This show absolutely no evidence of injury and was described by the radiologist as "very satisfactory". The neurologist's report however raised the issue of PTE (post traumatic epilepsy) and based on several studies, estimated my risk of developing PTE to be <0.5% per annum, decreasing with time. The CAA/EASA require a risk of <0.1% for an unrestricted Class 1 so I have found myself with a long term OML. I have told that this can be reviewed again in 2020, this will be 15 years post accident.

Last edited by Fostex; 26th May 2017 at 08:05.