PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 09:07
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Honestly, I think it's time for an enquiry. Any thoughts?
The first thing I'd say is, we've had an inquiry. The Nimrod Review, which was given the full historical details of why the system was run down, and by whom. That was simply factual information, although actively concealed by MoD - and Haddon-Cave. So yes, another is needed.

The question why this continued for (at the time) nearly 20 years was also addressed, but of course that can only be from the perspective of individual witnesses; although some had considerable experience and had witnessed first hand the RAF's reaction to the failings in December 1992 - threats of dismissal for refusing to obey orders to perpetuate the rundown. Under such a regime, many hitherto diligent and exceptional engineers will succumb to a culture of bullying, and ignore their training and regulations. In fact, MoD actually admits this, stating in a 2003 briefing to PUS that only one member of staff had complained, and that he was therefore wrong. (A notification provided under FoI, and submitted to Haddon-Cave). A lie in my opinion, but it is difficult to find anyone who will admit to voicing concerns; which is now both an offence and a legal obligation. But, also, many engineering decisions have been taken by non-engineers, who have self-delegated authority. This has never been resolved, although to be fair I think the MAA have snipped away at the outer edges. But 7 years of snipping should have exposed all!