PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit in the USA moving back to the U.K.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 06:48
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that this is not quite the same thing as the quote I was responding to originally, but....

In my twenties and possibly thirties, aviation-wise I would probably have agreed. I'm well into my fifties now, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge, and these days I would like to think I've matured enough to realise that there are more important considerations than just aviation.

As I've never actually worked there I don't really know what it's like. But unless you are lucky and get the right job quickly I suspect the difficulties are similar to Europe for an ambitious young pilot. I always enjoyed the openness and willingness of general aviation people in the US to welcome me, and I got a US commercial licence from an FAA office in Hawaii on the strength of my UKatpl, while wandering around on a trip! It was as easy as paying a few bucks, I was amazed at how straightforward it was compared to the pain in the ass CAA in the UK!

But is the US in 2017 the holy grail, taking everything into consideration? As I said, not for me. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend that any kid becomes a pilot these days, unless they were totally absorbed by aeroplanes, as I was. I was one of those that knew exactly what I was going to do, from the age of seven, nothing short of a physical ailment would have prevented me from achieving my aim.

Would I swop my job as a KLM, Air France or BA Captain for one with United or Delta? Probably not. Or a G5 Captain in Europe with one in the US? It depends on what your priorities are. Are the number of opportunities greater in the US, yes, I think so.

These days, I think I'd recommend flying somewhere as far from civilisation as possible!