PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spirit Airlines Chaos
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 10:32
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldchina
RoyHudd:

"airlines should have pilots at the forefront. Simply because they understand what the business is all about"

Problem is that most pilots have no idea of airline economics beyond costs and 'bean counting'.

Ask any one of them how to reduce costs (ok) whilst at the same time maximising revenue and you'll be met with a blank stare.

It surely ain't cost per seat ? Revenue management, what's that ?
Old China, please don't underestimate pilots' knowledge and intelligence. Many of us understand much about yield management. After all, it was first so-termed by Robert Crandall, that rather tough CEO and Chairman of American Airlines.

We get this stuff drummed into us at corporate propaganda meetings, (workshops, pilot development courses, etc), and it is not beyond our wit to check and challenge the lame excuses for our ever-worsening T & C's. Sadly some unions are simply too weak to stand up to airline management for their members.. And as an individual, objecting to management practices can lead to unpleasant circumstances with respect to job security. I won't explain here, but those of us in the profession should know what I mean.