PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lies, damn lies and autogyro accident rates?
Old 8th May 2017, 21:36
rans6andrew

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
lies, damn lies and autogyro accident rates?

a 3 axis microlight pilot I know has suddenly got the autogyro (gyroplane) bug, sold his aircraft and bought a nice shiny new autogyro. He is well into training for it. I queried the atrocious accident rate with him and was informed;

the early ones were dangerous because they lacked a horizontal stabiliser, POI caught people out. My one doesn't suffer from this.

Not being overly convinced I just thought I would see what G-INFO has to add to this.

Interesting.

One of the modern, safe, two seat machines popular in the UK has one sixth (the same rate as Russian Roulette with a revolver!) of the UK fleet de-registered due to "aircraft destroyed". A couple of the other types fair a little better but not much.

Does any one know if there any other sport aviation machines with an accident record that bad?

I was going to check the R22 record but life is too short. It is not as simple as just looking at de-registered entries because changed registration and sold abroad also show up in G-INFO de-registered listings.

Rans6.....