PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS contract plane off runway - KCRW
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 14:00
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the VOR A chart given in post #4 it is indeed a challenging approach. Was it daylight or just dawn, but the low cloud would have made it darker and there are no approach lights. It is 29 degrees off the centreline and a strange profile. There is no published DME/ALT table for the final descent, only MINS at 6nm and MPA at 8nm = threshold. Height loss is 1280' in 6nm. (Normally a 3degree slope would be 1920'.) This is very flat as a CDA, so suggests a dive & drive with a level segment. There you are, level, full landing flap, higher power, nose up, 800/700'AGL, searching for only threshold lights at 2nm (min vis required is also 1-2nm depending on category.) The ROD from 700' to 50' TCHT is about 3 degrees, but from 800' steeper. You see the runways lights late, off to the left; there is a slight delay in transiting to final descent from level flight and end up with high ROD and turning to gain the centre line, all with a tailwind. Someone was giving OVC 005. Good game. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen, to me.
And how can you have a min vis of 1nm with DH 700' if there are no approach lights? Am missing something?