PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBVA Stop Funding Pilot Loans
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 11:25
gbotley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are not many things that annoy me... but the tone of some people on this forum beggars belief! To insinuate every person seeking help from a bank is irresponsible is far from reality. In fact, speaking with truth here, the majority I know whom have borrowed from the bank - myself included - ARE those who are the most respectful about money!

I'm 23, have a First Class BSc degree and have worked flat out since the age of 16. If there's one thing I'll say, the student loan company sure as hell didn't support me through university with their incorrect methodology for the assessment of parents earnings. It was tough, but I did it.

People can hark on about the good ol' days as much as they want, but I'm sorry the days of airlines paying you generously are long gone. In fact, to me - the supposedly ignorant 23 year old - an airline paying me £40,000 to fly a jet as a starting rate is a reasonable salary to begin with! If you're entering this industry these days to have a girl under each arm and a briefcase full of cash (as a homage to Leonardo DiCaprio) then quite clearly you're in it for the wrong reasons. The dream is to fly, at least in my eyes! The aforementioned airline schemes also pay much lower considering the loan security or repayments inclusive too!

The medical industry is just as expensive and I know many whom are in exactly the same situation there too! The NHS in the UK is funding sod all anymore.

As for the schools, I know plenty of people who have struggled to find work from a modular capacity who eventually join the big few for their AQC etc. These large schools may charge a lot - that I can't deny - but the relationships with airlines have quite clearly been forged out of delivering pilots to the same standards. Example; i train with a couple PPL holders whom are essentially being retaught core flying skills as each have said how the procedures and concepts here are different.

EDIT: that last statement is not me saying every private /school modular school is terrible. It's far from that. I'm simply sharing my observations.

Rant over!

Last edited by gbotley; 7th May 2017 at 22:27.