PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Halfpenny Green Rnwy 10
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 09:19
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the pilot wouldn't know whats happening behind the aircraft unless perhaps something solid hit the airframe.
Entirely agreed. Not knowing what's happening behind you does not mean you're not responsible though...

Decades ago I was taxiing a Cessna, with a proper taxi clearance at Toronto International Airport. I taxied behind a parking stand which was a "no engine run" stand, as it backed onto the taxiway. Unbeknownst to the ground controller or me, the maintenance guys were doing an engine run on the parked 767 on that stand. The jetblast nearly flipped my Cessna, lifting one mainwheel well off the ground and weathercocking me across that taxiway. Obviously, the ground controller would have never given me the clearance to taxi there, had he been aware of the hazard. As there was no damage, I made only a report, but no claim. However, had my plane been damaged, I would have made a claim.

I'm sure that the Halfpenny Green jet pilot had no intent, nor awareness that his operation could cause damage, but like any accident, it happened anyway, and damage was done. That's what insurance is for....