PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Halfpenny Green Rnwy 10
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 06:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfield management should have known condition, and refused to accept this jet aircraft.
I, of course, have no idea what prior arrangements or inquiries were made for the operations at that airport with the jet. However, for my experience with this (and I have some from my airline operations days), it is the pilot/aircraft operator responsibility to determine the suitability of an airport and its facilities for the operation of their aircraft, not that of the airport operator.

The pilot/aircraft operator know (or should know) what their aircraft requires, and the possible effects of their operations at the airport. Things like blast distance and intensity, tire pressures and ground bearing requirements, and clearances. That information may be unique for the type, particularly odd ones, and the airport management can hardly be expected to know and police this.

I have witnessed a large helicopter arrive to a flying event at a "small" airport. The facility was not suitable, and four GA aircraft were damaged by rotor wash. That damage was the helicopter pilot's responsibility, not that of the airport operator.

I can't see how this jet pilot could evade responsibility by saying "well the airport management let me land here....".