PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MFTS
Thread: MFTS
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:42
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Best Ascent get rid of their 7 FTDs then, because the multi-aircraft scenarios which the FTDs enable might prove very effective in weeding out the weaker students
and where will those multi aircraft scenarios be fed in? Not for any of the first few months of training - seems a much more AFT element.

The RAF doesn't. The British military does, because of the opinion that all helicopter crews need to receive winch training (much as the Army appear to have missed the boat - geddit?), and much as Ascent might love to have one fleet, they seem to have decided that the 135 platform is unsuitable for winch training. Some have said that it's not great for basic crewman training either, but I quite enjoy perusing PPrune at lunchtime so I'm not saying that (RIP Baldeep!)
The RN require winch trg because of their enduring SAR role as a secondary funtion - the Army do need it but don't appear to have asked for it and the RAF could spend lots of hours doing it on Puma and Chinook when it is so much cheaper on 145.

135 doesn't have the capability to hover OEI at winching weights (crew on board) but I think the 145 can just manage it (possibly with wind assistance) hence a single fleet isn't possible.