PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 12:12
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobster911

Tecman - I was far from saying that everyone who's managed to get that far hasn't had a difficult beginning. Sincere apologies if that's how it came across. I was merely trying to make the point that, if you were back at the beginning again, and this system was in place etc etc, surely you'd find the temptation of reduced costs and increased flying quite great? Or is that really only me?

Just to go right back to basics again, if cost sharing is legal, which it is, and if Wingly took out it's flight requests feature, would you still not approve? As was mentioned in a previous post, Wingly is just a digital version of meeting someone at the airport bar who tells you he'd love to come up for a flight, you have a bit of a chat and take him up. You don't know that person any better than you know the people on Wingly, as you can contact the passenger, have a chat with them, lay out the expectations etc etc.
T911, since you ask I'm happy to answer. I did in fact learn to fly in an environment - the Australian bush - where the chisel temptation was real and where PPLs pushed the limits of the regulations applying to airwork in general. There were, and are, dispensations and endorsements by the regulator (which has changed names several times in the decades I've been flying) to cover situations in which it's better to legitimize and monitor activities which would otherwise be covert, such as PPLs doing their own aerial mustering.

Because the distances were large and the commercial operators relatively few I was approached a number of times to provide transport for compensation. I was pretty green but I did know enough to ask questions about practicalities such as insurance and to wonder about the effect on the livelihood of the local CPLs, one of whom was an instructor to whom I owe much to this day.

You're dead right: I was very tempted, having just secured my first job and having to fund my flying alongside all the other things that come with starting out in life. But I always refused the requests except for one occasion which involved a grazier having to get back to his property for urgent family reasons. In a farcical situation, all the available CPLs had knocked off for the day and had been at the local bar for too long to consider flying. I won't bore you with the details except to say I flew the grazier without charge in the AOC holder's aircraft, the keys to which had been thrown to me with the comment that he'd charge me only for the fuel. I never did get a bill, in my recollection.

My view on PPL cost sharing mirrors one held by many people on another well known contentious issue. It should be available, but rare. I pretty much agree with Step Turn's commentary that providing the electronic "skin" distorts a reasonable intent beyond reasonable bounds, given the 100 years of experience of mixing human nature and aeroplanes.

For the record, I would not cost share with a stranger from the airport coffee shop, either. But I do enjoy taking people I know flying in a private (no-charge) capacity now that I'm in a position to do so and I've never been disappointed with their reaction. What goes around comes around, in my experience. You just have to integrate over decades, not weeks, to get the net result.

That's a bit of a diversion, but you did ask!

I wish you all the best with your flying and hope that you find it in yourself to look beyond a glitzy web page or two from non-aviators and make your own assessment of the world of aviation.

Last edited by tecman; 1st May 2017 at 14:49. Reason: another typo