PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2017, 21:53
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Good Business Sense
The conversion rate is close to zero - survival of most schools is due to the selling of "experience flights" as gifts at Christmas - and that's a fact. Indeed, until recently 40% of people never used their gifts - the percentage has lowered over the last few years .......

and, of course, that is where wingly will do very well, thank you very much !!! They'll pocket the service charge AND the money on unused gifts. Of course, pre wingly, the flying club would have benefited in this way .... generally, to GAs benefit too.
Well I suppose I must have been the difference between "close to zero" and zero!

I still don't see how providing a mechanism for pilots and riders to share costs kills this part of the business. I would have thought it is more likely to grow it as people having done a GA flight using one of these mechanisms might well decide to take a closer look themselves.

As a point of detail: Wingly / Skyuber don't "Pocket the money on unused gifts": they never see that money. Also: are you suggesting that people not cashing in their experience flight vouchers is really good for GA?