PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2017, 09:24
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the UK's legislation (and guidance) on cost sharing is pretty clear-cut... Not sure where people are seeing this "grey-area" that they think they are exploiting...

Cost-Sharing is only there, so that pilots can legally share the cost of flights with friends and family. It isn't to allow low time PPLs to offer air-taxi or airline like services [period]. The main reason behind the motivation for the UK CAA to allow the advertising of flights, I believe, is purely due to the modern age where friends on websites such as Facebook, and places like this forum offering "spare" seats, along with club-house noticeboards offering spare seats. Which in law could be construed as "advertising a flight", leaving the pilot liable to prosecution. I believe officials quite rightly realised that this was probably not the wisest idea, hence the recent change. With regards to the splitting of costs, this is most certainly because there is no way of checking the splitting was of equal measures, it also on occasions make sense, for instance if one of your family members paid for your flight training (I have seen a few lucky 18yo with parents paying their entire tuition) - taking them for a flight after passing their PPL and said family member paying for most of the flight must be quite common.

With regards to safety, inexperience and pilot error is probably the single most common killer in aviation. This does not mean that a pilot with say 100hrs TT is necessarily any less safe than one with 500hrs TT, this would highly depend on their training, and personal capabilities. I have flown with pilots who had no more than 100hrs TT who flew surprisingly well, and with 5000+hrs TT who flew particularly, and noticeably badly.

Anyway - I hope this person closes his account / alters his page. Otherwise it will be a career ender, before it has even started!