PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 17:05
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PN,

The ability to jump from one type to another is something that has not been touched upon much here - adaptability. To me, this is the ability for a pilot to change his/her control input gains in order to achieve a desired response or to correct a detected flightpath error across different aircraft types. The control input differences between types is manifest as variations in the stick forces and displacements required to achieve a given response (the relationship between which varies between types and at different flight conditions) plus variations in the required application rate/frequency of control inputs. This all relates to the muscle memory aspects that I discussed previously and how quickly a pilot can learn and 'remember' a new set of gains. The adaptability of a pilot to switch from one type to another is definitely a strong function of natural ability. It can be taught/nurtured to an extent for most pilots but some will always find it difficult.

Multi-type flying has been my life for 37 years. The problem is that if someone has never done it they may not believe that it is possible to do it safely and well. For some pilots it is possible but you still have to work hard at it. How many types? I have stayed current to military regulations on 9 and simultaneously flown up to about other 6 types under different regulations, with a maximum of 4 in one day (covering 4-engine piston, modern fast-jet and WWII fighter). Golden days!

Last edited by LOMCEVAK; 22nd Apr 2017 at 17:37.