PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia recruitment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 04:09
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckshot16
Yes Density mate, the one and only ! Those days are gone, the HR twats need to justify there existence now, with questions like " can you give me a time ... and what was the outcome ". Please tell me you don't have a psych department in VA.
True, it's called targeted selection or TS and it's been around since the 80s... unlike a lot of the fads of the eighties like TQM, etc. it has not died a slow death. Can tell you from being on both sides it is a crock... it takes no account of a person who's work experience is known and it's major fault is also touted as it's major strength in that I've known people who could sell ice to Eskimos and they get through with shining colors. In my experience with recruitment, if they already have someone in mind and it's not you, the 'skilled' recruiter/HR person will write key things down that you might say inadvertently and will then put that back to you as being evidence of not quite what they were after to justify their decision. Many years ago I did two jobs at the same time, rather I was doing a job that had been split in two and when the restructure was over I got the lesser of the two because they felt I 'wasn't quite ready'. This despite much of the company and peers ticking the role I was expecting to get off because everyone reckoned I had it in the bag. They also told me the guy they eventually gave it to interviewed exceptionally well. Before they appointed him they asked me to continue doing both jobs (to which I replied no, I don't think I'm ready for it yet...). 3 months later, the guy that interviewed exceptionally assaulted a subordinate and was fired and I ended up getting the job. The interview and the targeted selection process was obviously flawed. The thing is they're looking for an easy answer... and they talk about TS as though it's a science and it does all the work for you all you have to do is ask the questions but it's not. Nothing beats looking at someones past performance and exercising some perception while interviewing. The rest to quote Kevin Pollack in A Few Good Men is just "smoke filled, coffee house crap".