PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 11:05
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by louisnewmark

...For what it's worth (and of course I may be wrong), I think it's probable that the accident radar was set up and being operated correctly for the conditions, and that overflight of the radar return at BLKMO was deliberate in the belief that it represented low-lying rocks that were not a threat..
This aspect is absolutely critical to unravel. Does the Primus radar system store information in non-volatile memory that can be downloaded for review, particularly the tilt and gain settings, and maybe the images that were being rendered? Whilst the radar may have been set up correctly, or not, I doubt the images were being interpreted correctly. With appropriate tweaking of the gain/tilt, low lying rocks will be surrounded by sea clutter returns, whereas a big cliff in-front of you may have sea clutter in-front of it, but will have no sea clutter behind it. You should never fly into a big black void behind a red (weather) or magenta (ground map) return because that area is potentially very hazardous.