PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 22:34
cncpc

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red5ive
Could that be referring to a waypoint near Blackrock.

On the Newstalk clip I posted the expert seemed to infer it was a waypoint (at 10m20s).
In the scenario I subscribe to and which is sort of generally accepted, that route was originally drawn up as a service/transit route between the two helipads. Support for that seemed to be that these waypoints had a pink circle under them, and numbers believed to be either the elevation of the pads or the the obstacle height of the lighthouse.

The wording in the report may be just poor wording, but it could mean that the waypoint is not co-located with the helipad, or even the island. Just near it, i.e. over open water. If that is the case, it opens another hole in the cheese. Nobody knows what page 2 says in that APBSS thing. It may have heights associated with each waypoint, or it may tell you that there is a 310 foot lighthouse "near" the waypoint.

Support for it being the helipad comes from the fact if you fly to BLKMO at 200 feet in cloud or darkness, you will hit the rock perfectly in line with the helipad. Whatever the case, its confusing enough that even the investigators cannot describe it in an unambiguous way.