PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 13:16
SASless

Received 498 Likes on 207 Posts
Sim training is as good as those setting the rules allow it.

I watched a well known Northsea Operator with Operations around the World refuse to embrace Sim Training until forced to by the customer, then they flew crews halfway around the World to Texas with the Sim training within a couple of hours of their arrival, then insisted the training secnnario's have nothing to do with the area in which the crews actually flew, dictated what training was done, AND which instructors could do the training.

That the Sim school dealt with customers from all points of the Globe and by being at the Factory where the aircraft was designed and produced thus having access to expert technical advice and historical data.....the Operator insisted it knew better on all issues.

The laugh is I endured the farce the Sim Training we got and being close friends with several of the Instructors we still found ways to derive benefit by being there. Later I was an instructor there and conducted training for many of the Pilots from my former employer.

I did Recuse myself when tasked to do the training on a former house mate and training captain/ops manager/type captain....as I knew I could not be objective on his evaluation knowing of his incompetence and bad attitude.

I did ride along during his Sim Training under the guise of evaluating the instructor. It was actually to be a witness as we assumed he would fail to meet the standard and would try to blame the instructor.

He did not let us down...and his fellow trainee being the Senior Training Captain in the Company got to see for himself what happened and had a good laugh at seeing an attitude adjustment happen in real time.

Sim training is only as good as it is allowed to be.

It is a Sim.....and not the real aircraft....so it is more procedures and concepts that the Sim is best suited to provide and those strengths should be made best use of during training.