PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Does RAFA mean to those serving...and those who have served?
Old 20th Apr 2017, 08:15
Fatjoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd like to add to this debate. When I transferred to FTRS 4 years ago, I joined RAFA. Fair to say, it was due to a bit of pressure from a couple of old guys I know in town who are members. Without that pressure, I probably wouldn't have joined, mainly for all the reasons already expressed above. But I did, and I went along to the AGM. They were operating without a secretary, had been for 9 months or so, and no-one put themselves up to take the job on. So I volunteered. I've sec'd and chaired many meetings during my service career, so I figured it wouldn't be hard, they just needed a bit of organisation. I treated it like a secondary duty. I was right, but what I didn't count on was the frustration I'd feel trying to shake these old 'uns up.

I am one of the youngest members, and I'm still in my fifties. The majority are in their 70s or older. We have a few younger members, courtesy of RAF Leeming's successful drive to recruit serving members, but we very rarely see them in the club. There is a very good reason for this. Speaking only about my branch, it has become almost a personal drinking club for the committee. it is old-fashioned, serves one keg beer, and to be frank, isn't always the most welcoming of environments. It’s not the sort of place where the young ones want to go on a Saturday night. I have tried to change that.

The way I look at it is that RAFA is a welfare organisation and should be trying to support its (veteran) community as best it can. Membership is dwindling, as the senior cadre die off (there are very few WW2 vets frequenting the club these days). If RAFA can't recruit younger members, then it will die with its members. And that is RAFA's challenge: to change your perceptions and hopefully, your minds.

I am no longer on the committee, but I still pop in on a Saturday night now and again, for a couple of pints, more out of duty than need. And that I think says it all!