PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 15 injured in ‘serious’ stall alert incident on Qantas flight
Old 17th Apr 2017, 19:31
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookleft, relax.

I take your point about "facts", but I never said they were facts, I said:
This seems to be what we know:
My comments about wake turbulence, and severe turbulence didn't come from the ATSB but I didn't make them up, they "apparently" came from the crew:

I was on this flight, severe vibration and a loud vibrating whooshing sound and then plummeting turbulence came out of no where, many passengers and crew hit their heads on the roof, overhead compartments opened and our bags from under the seat in front of us ended up behind us. There were also smoke alarms going off at the rear of the plane.Crew were initially running down the isles to see if there was any fire but said it was a false alarm due to turbulence, it would turn off and then start again the whole way into landing. It was very scary to say the least. Crew said we hit the wake of another plane, I don't know but I'm thankful we landed safely.
… CC & pax were told it was turbulence.
The passengers on board experienced what felt like severe turbulence. (from QF PR)
One source says the "crew" told them it was wake turbulence. Three sources use the word "turbulence", and one uses the word "severe".

So how often have you found yourself in the scenario as described, regularly get the aircraft to the stick shaker do you?
Never had a stick shaker in an aircraft, but I've had a few in the simulator when practicing turbulence, aircraft upsets and other non-normal manoeuvres.

I just find it hard to imagine that an approach to stall recovery manoeuvre would cause anything like the mayhem in the cabin as described. Would applying forward elevator really set off smoke alarms and open overhead compartments? Sounds more like turbulence to me. Hence my conjecture that it may have been turbulence which caused the stick shaker rather than the other way around.

As for the "conjecture police" - thinking about real aircraft incidents and discussing all the possible reasons it may have happened, and how it may be avoided in future makes us all better aviators. If you don't like it, don't read it.