PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2017, 17:28
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Al-Bert,

Why would an Approach Plate for a preplanned IMC Procedure that had been surveyed, trained for, checked, and used incorporating the Gucci abilities of the FMS and other equipment cause an accident like this?

I submit the absence of that is the main contributing cause of this accident.

Times change as does technology....and we should change with it.

Eacott Reminded you that Steam Age 61's had their bad days and you then admitted post one such bad day....changes in the way business was done was effected.

So why not do the same after this one?
Sorry SAS - I don't understand your post - yes times change, in this unfortunate crew's case for the worse. Over complication of navaids in an overworked cockpit, a procedure mistakenly flown because it wasn't an IFR plate, unreliable data inputs to the nav kit, rear crew not totally involved in the procedure (poor CRM) - all or any of these things may have contributed to the cfit. Mr Eacott referred to an early RN SK (not a 61) cfit - I assume RN procedures changed post that crash and the RAF procedures followed, and in time incorporated GPS and NVD's. Tragic accident to an experienced crew that shouldn't have occurred and yes, I've been to Blacksod on a few occasions too.