PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2017, 15:32
JulietSierra6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the last few posts have been pretty informative.

I just wanted to give you my thoughts now 4 years on from training.

The loan repayment is tough. I got a job with a large Irish loco a couple of months after finishing my integrated course. Seeing the numbers on a spreadsheet is one thing, seeing them come out of your net pay is another. Mine were roughly 800 during the reduced payment period then 1200 2 years later for the remainder. (That includes £24k for type rating).

As I've said, it is tough, but it is workable. Just be under no illusions as to what you'll potentially be left with each month and do your research. Asking questions here is a good start but plan for the worst case scenario, 6 months, a year? maybe 2 years out of training without a flying job? maybe longer. Things can and do go wrong throughout training that can seriously impact your employability, including just bad luck.

Things may be reasonable in terms of job prospects at the moment, but will they be in 1, 2 or 3 years from now? No one knows.

It is a huge gamble. I spent 3 years with the loco I mentioned and now work for the U.K. Flag carrier earning a pretty decent wage. £1200 out of my net pay still has a pretty significant impact. It worked out for me, and most others I guess. Would I take the gamble again, possibly not?

Do with this info what you will. Just trying to give some perspective on what living with these loans is like. This is based on a reasonably decent salary, do you have a back up plan to make the repayments if the worst should happen?