PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:34
S76Heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
What astounds me here is why, with FLIR available on the MFDs, this was not selected to supplement the RADAR return on the other MFD.
The unit I was privileged to fly SAR with, did not allow it because the (cockpit) screen did not easily show which way the FLIR was pointing. It would be too easy to swerve to avoid something seen on te screen and smash into it because the FLIR was actually looking at an obstacle sideways.
We did, however, have a running commentary from the FLIR operator when he was operating the FLIR and we always acted upon any doubt expressed by any crew member. This was Maritime SAR in a rocky environment.

As an offshore pilot, I have used and use the radar as my primary means to remain clear of solid stuff when below MSA over water. Moving map and GPS/FMS are fancy calculators, the radar gives me a fix. Because it is a wx radar, I play with the tilt to see if there is anything missed on the previous sweep. It does not have an " ideal" setting, not even on mapping mode. I do not overfly anything I have not visually (mk1 eyeball) identified beforehand, as it has been pointed out by other contributors that sometimes stuff sails in the way that is high enough to seriously ruin your day.
I am old enough to have worked with just a monochrome radar and decca; anything later I consider a bonus. A MPP is still only " most probable" according to the calculator; reality may differ.

A tragic accident and I write this with the full benefit of hindsight.