PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 16:49
212man

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by roundwego
SASless, you said

Are you sure you are correct in your statement about user data being able to be added to the EGPWS database? My understanding is that any new obstacles etc has to be notified to the equipment manufacturer for inclusion in the very infrequent updates. i don't think it is reasonable to expect the operator to check the whole egpws database for correctness.

I know the egpws database has its origins many years ago when computer memory was expensive and the database had extremely low resolution to keep the file size small. An obstacle such as a radio mast would show up as a 1km square block on the screen and the mast would not necessarily have been in the centre of the square. In fact, if the mast was exactly at the meeting point of 4 blocks on the map grid, it would show up as a 2x2 km block. I am not aware that the database has become higher resolution in recent times. Having said that, there is no excuse for Black Rock not to be in the database.

(I may be incorrect in the size of the egpws map grid blocks because, being an American product, I would have thought the units would have been non metric)
Yes, and the report states that in the quote from Honeywell. It's done by the operator providing the data to Honeywell and they include it in the update cycle.