PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 14th Apr 2017, 03:06
Ranger One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil
The CVR and FDR are for accident investigation and ONLY for accident investigation.
I would hope that pilot unions across the World would threaten strike action if they are used for anything else. (Yes I know they have been)
Would anyone who works in an office permit their every move and comment to be recorded and possibly used against them by their company or the courts? Can you imagine the screams of outrage?
We, magnanimously, permitted CVR and FDR to assist accident investigation and to avoid repeating errors; not for greedy litigation!
I would agree. But there's something you've missed here. The allegations in court are (IMHO; IANAL) very likely to include conspiracy. That the company and/or the security agents and/or a diverse range of United employees etc. conspired to have 'my client' assaulted and wrongfully arrested etc etc.

The CVR may provide important exculpatory evidence for the flight deck crew. And whether the contents are exculpatory or not it would almost certainly have to be produced in any case as part of discovery proceedings. If it still exists of course...