PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerair fleet change to B737.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 05:52
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Snakecharma
Aerial perspective, the "virgin" callsign you refer to is a radio telephony callsign applicable to ATC comms.

The use of "Virgin" by Virgin AMCO on company frequency is not governed by the icao doc and they could call themselves "purple underpants with pink dots" if they wanted to.

Virgin Blue used "Virgin" as a radio telephony callsign for years - 2000 until about 2011 if I remember correctly under an agreement with Airservices. Even with Atlantic operating into Australia - the Atlantic Australian flight numbers were quarantined so there weren't any duplications.

It was only the push to get a common callsign across PB, the 777 operation and the Australian domestic operation that they switched to velocity
Fair enough... be interesting to see if Part 64 mentions anything about it, I doubt it since it's a licensing reg basically. I just thought it was strange when I heard it... Qantas call themselves 'Qantas Melbourne', 'Qantas Sydney', 'Qantas Auckland', etc. they don't call themselves by any other call sign, same with BA, ground and air call themselves 'Speedbird'. Virgin has to be different. I just don't see what the big deal would be if they called themselves 'Velocity Sydney' for example.