PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2017, 01:07
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the issues we have John is that you have always been a commercial paid pilot while I have been a private recreational pilot. As a member of the latter group we are more likely to get in to situations and areas that commercial pilots never enter.

I have landed in places in Australia that would horrify you.

The sad fact about the accident we are discussing is that the pilot learnt to fly in a low level
benign weather area. The helicopter he was flying was an easy machine to fly and he was very confident he could reach his destination.

He would not have taken off that day if he felt he could not reach his destination.
I am well aware of the Welsh mountains and the associated conditions, and (since you ask) had I been flying that route it would have been easy to dogleg around the hills to remain over lower ground and/or coastal. Banging on in the manner that you are does you no credit and, again, makes me question your ability to research a story that you may report upon.
The suggestion you would "dogleg" around the hills raises questions for me.

I am sure you are well aware of Snowdonia but I question whether you have ever tried to fly it low level in bad weather single pilot?

There is no opportunity to dogleg around the area. It must be avoided at all costs if you want to fly VFR.