PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 10th Apr 2017, 19:49
czarnajama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Chicago Police Department statement:

"At approximately 6:00 p.m., a 69-year-old male Asian airline passenger become irate after he was asked to disembark from a flight that was oversold. The passenger in question began yelling to voice his displeasure at which point Aviation Police were summoned. Aviation Officers arrived on scene attempted to carry the individual off of the flight when he fell. His head subsequently struck an armrest causing injuries to his face. The man was taken to Lutheran General Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Ongoing investigation."

Presumably written before they became aware that there are several different videos of the incident circulating on the Net ...
I have watched several of the videos, and to me it seems the police statement is accurate. The way the passenger's head hit the armrest was truly shocking, and his behaviour later pacing up and down the rear aisle suggests he was far from himself. His behaviour before being thrown into the aisle also does not suggest a person who was well to begin with. We have no confirmation of his identity and whether his claims were true. Caution is indicated toward this "viral" story.

There is an important principle involved here, namely that passengers and crew on an aircraft or ship must obey orders from the Captain (or his/her delegates), subject to laws, regulations and CRM principles. The passenger clearly did not obey a lawful order consistent with the contract terms of his ticket.

I expect he will be convicted, fined and placed on the no-fly list, otherwise passenger defiance and uncontrolled auctions for over-booking compensation will occur. That said, the airline acted very obtusely, and has created for itself a PR catastrophe. It's time for some re-regulation in favour of passenger and crew rights.