PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 02:20
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
As a potential passenger (sorry I mean cost-sharer) I've had a look at some of the flights being offered on Wingly's website in the UK - it seems to be a really mixed bag.

On the one hand there are people aged 40+ with 500+ hours experience who are going somewhere on a fixed date and are open to having a companion for the journey and share the fuel cost. Some of these look quite appealing, including one from an aerodrome 2 miles from where I live to a town I've never visited before

On the other hand there are people aged about 20 with just 100 total hours flying experience, less than 10 hours on type and who claim to be very 'flexible' about when or where a cost-sharer fancies going, be it a oneway, return or scenic overflight.

The first category is possibly a good reason for Wingly to exist. The people on Wingly's site in the second category terrify me.
I sent Wingly an email asking what happens if I pay in advance and then when I meet the pilot at the aerodrome realise he seems less than 'sensible' - the response promised a refund but it seemed strange that the UK country manager should be based in Paris

Wingly claim on their website to try to prevent pseudo air taxi flights - I am not convinced they are trying hard enough to achieve this verification process. I suspect if they were strict on this, they would see much of their web traffic disappear quickly - always a challenge for start up companies to decide about 'quality business' versus getting their business going

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 7th Apr 2017 at 02:45.