PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best route after University - flight training
Old 1st Apr 2017, 18:20
utd4life12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momo95
I don't meant to be rude, but you are graduating with a law degree and want to be a cabin crew member? Have I read this correctly ? :/

If you can do your license on the side then great, otherwise my sincere advice is to stay away from being cc ... I have the utmost respect for all cc, but they are paid peanuts and worked their butts off everyday with relatively little reward.
I know it sounds crazy, but my degree from the very start always was as a backup, it was never something I wanted to then go and practice in as a career.

As I've said above, the wage would likely be enough to cover PPL but then after that it's going to fall way short, so I definitely need to look for something better paid, whether that be inititally or later down the line.

Originally Posted by crablab
Re. Class 1:

You should a) read through the exclusions list and check you don't feature on any of the exclusions b) go and get your initial Class 1 with all the harrowing ECGs etc.

If you can't get a Class 1 you cannot go commercial so it is the thing you do first before you even beginning to think about a career!

There are 3 places you can get an initial now: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-ind...l-certificate/
So the Initital Class 1 can only be done at these 3 places? What do they do different to the places, say for example in my city, that are capable of issusing a Class 1?

Originally Posted by Jaair
If you have a law degree then I suggest you stay away from CC. You have the qualifications so I suggest you look for work in that area as I'm sure that the pay and benefits will be greater. Firstly, you would be able to fly on the side (going modular). Secondly, I assume the pay will be much greater so you will reach your goal far sooner than if you were going to be CC.
The pay is much greater for jobs in law which require you have an LPC, which is around £10,000 and a heck of a lot of hard work, and most require experience already in the field. So whilst I do understand why people are suggesting I go into Law, it's very difficult to then go and pay £10,000 when I don't find law particularly interesting. I did it as a degree because I was decent at it in college and wanted a safety net. There's a lot of people on my course now that aren't going into law.

Having said that, I also realise CC get paid little. But let's look at Jet2, basic starting salary of £15,000. A friend of mine who does that, once he's earned his commission, can earn up around the £20,000. So let's say if I go into a Human Resources job which my degree would allow me too, the starting salary is around £21,000, and I'd be stuck in an office not getting any industry experience. This is my only issue I have, but I do get what you're all saying I need to see what vacancies are around when I graduate, right now there's not much I can do