PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry FO
Thread: Direct Entry FO
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2017, 01:46
BizJetJockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Luggage, there is a word for people like you that I would be banned by the mods for using. I pity the poor suckers who ever find themselves crewed up with you. You are an extremely ignorant person who assumes that those who are SOs have zero flying skills. You're correct regarding a contingent of locals who joined as cadets however you forget that they have little choice in terms of the experience they are able to build. Hong Kong doesn't really offer the GA/Turboporp opportunities that other regions do. This is their only real opportunity to start their careers in aviation. If you were in their shoes, I think you may find it hard to refuse. Free training, a decent salary and solid career progression from the start. Yes, experience in other areas is extremely valuable and I feel fortunate for the opportunities I have had however they rarely have these opportunities. Secondly, you obviously have no idea about the people working at Cathay. You tar every SO with the same brush. Some SOs joined from other companies where they have extremely valuable experience as training captains on turboprops etc, corporate jet capts and fos, bush pilots etc etc. These guys joined as SOs for varying reasons however I can tell you right now that some took the first job they were offered after their last company went bust or they were made redundant. For most, the priority is to have a salary to feed the family, pay the rent or mortgage, keep the career moving and pay the money back that they fought so hard to save to get their licence in the first place. If you have nothing decent to say, don't say anything at all. If you were a decent person and there are many in aviation (unfortunately there are also people like you), you would know that it is an up hill struggle for most of us trying to maintain a decent career in aviation in order to feed the children and pay the bills. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a 'wannabe', you were one once and everyone deserves a shot!!