PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay colors?
Thread: Gay colors?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2017, 07:23
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
No analogies.

When I was growing up homosexuals were considered fair game by many to assault, they could be (and were) imprisoned, were routinely vilified and discriminated against. Because they were homosexual and didn't have the same rights as heterosexuals.

You could kill one of them and have your crime reduced from murder to manslaughter if you claimed you felt threatened by their sexuality (that legislation was only stopped *this year* in Qld and *is still in force* in South Australia!). Why? Because they are homosexual and don't deserve to have the same legal rights as heterosexuals.

Being outed as a homosexual was a legitimate cause for you to lose your job. Because you were homosexual and didn't have the same rights as heterosexuals.

Fathers would throw their sons out of home and cut them off from family because they were homosexual.

Many police often refused to investigate violence against homosexuals, in some cases were actively involved in the violence. Because they were homosexual and didn't deserve the same treatment as heterosexuals.

It was not uncommon to hear people saying AIDs was a good thing as it would kill off homosexuals. Because they were homosexual and didn't have the same right to life as heterosexuals.

The lack of acceptance or outright hostility they faced drove many to suicide. Because they were homosexual and felt rejected by society.

People were forcibly given 'treatments' including electro convulsive therapy to 'cure' them.

Or were told they were choosing to be homosexual as a selfish 'lifestyle choice'. (As if anyone can choose which sex they find attractive. I certainly couldn't decide to be sexually attracted to a gender I don't have that attraction for - it just wouldn't work! and if anyone would consider it 'selfish' to choose to be vilified, hated, assaulted and discriminated against).

This was not a century ago. This is recent history. It wasn't everyone who treated them like that but I certainly recall it being pretty common and not a situation particularly criticised until more recent times.

Is it as bad now as it was then? No. Does that mean everything is fine?

I still hear many people today say many of the same vile things about homosexuals today as were being said back then. There is still a stigma many fear or have to face for being homosexual. Because they are homosexual.

Children still agonise over their sexuality, fearing rejection and ostracism because they find they find who they are attracted to doesn't fit the common mold. They didn't chose to be like that, they just are. Bad luck. You got born wrong. Suffer...

I have never had to face any of that crap.

Meanwhile there are people saying homosexuals are out of line and are threatening the rights of others by wanting to have similar legal rights in their closest relationships as heterosexuals have or wanting to have their relationships to be accepted by society.

Any wonder there are some who feel a tad militant? Does that make over reaction right or acceptable? No but it certainly makes it understandable. Particularly when people claim homosexuals are infringing on heterosexuals rights.