PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 21:00
Search&Rescue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepys
Horizontal departure - from hover engage TU and once past min if speed (50/60kts) engage ALTA.
Vertical departure - from auto hover (30ft) increase collective height bug to suitable height (500ft for example). At safe height to clear obstacles increase hover position forward to 60 kts then follow ALTA as above.

The basic 139 has autohover and therefore a vertical departure can be followed as above which I guess was an option for LABL. Practice using auto modes is essential if you intend to fly in such conditions.
Thanks Jeepys! Good advice! 👍

We have a quite flat country, so it will be the horizontal dep most of the times. Maybe I would start with "Confined profile" in order to reject easily if needed and @TDPe select TU. The Vertical dep might be a good option sometimes (e.g. due to poor references), but I guess that you have to plan some kind "commitment point" anyway in case of OEI before 500 ft or what would you do in case of OEI at 350 ft? Just "Standard Flyaway" and Vtoss climb until clear of obstacles or?