PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 08:18
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks tdracer, interesting stuff.

Octane:

Originally Posted by Octane
"If those guys were driving their car home from work and the instruments were giving odd indications, the engine started vibrating and producing fumes I'm sure they'd pull over and turn the thing off 100% of the time. Wouldn't they? I doubt they'd keep driving home hoping she'll be right mate...?!" Am I being a bit harsh?
Fair point, but companies these days don't like folks going off piste (especially on a twin) and shutting engines down if it is not a QRH requirement or a catastrophic problem outside the scope of the QRH.

Just out of interest if your brother has time ( though I'm guessing he won"t) ask him to have a look at the report and the 777 QRH, look at the early symptoms of engine issues on the SQ flight and see which relevant checklist has a requirement to shut the miss behaving engine down. FWIW the crew hadn't had a low oil pressure or high oil temp EICAS warning, the vibrations don't add up to being severe and were the flight crew really aware how severe was the fumes smell was in the cabin?

Ultimately it seems the crew thought they in conjunction with the company engineers on satcom had solved or at least contained the problem and hadn't had to shut the engine down.....I suspect the real "**** me " moment might have occurred quite quickly thereafter if they had run the Fuel disagree/Leak checklists properly though the one engine at idle would have might have delayed diagnosis (sorry to bring that up again but TBF it is also mentioned in the report's safety recommendations) but they never got there, possibly because to some extent they got sidetracked talking to "company" and perhaps convinced by the ground that the engine was ok.

There's a danger to modern comms...

Last edited by wiggy; 22nd Mar 2017 at 08:51.