PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 21st Mar 2017, 21:34
Danny42C

Runway Controllers.

ACW342 (#1),
"Is there, I wonder, an appetite for "stories from the ‘van' ?"
- Yes, there is - Bring it on ! (we're all going to enjoy ourseleves hugely with this - or I'm a Dutchman). For openers:
"...in my time (1969 - 1991) ..... my last shift in a caravan was at Leeming in April ’91..."
I deduce that you spent '69-'72 at Leeming.

I was a Controller at Leeming and later a Supervisor and deputy SATCO from 1967 till retirement at end of 1972. I take it we were both there '69 -'72 ? In that case, my callsign should identify me to you.

According to my F 5994, my SATCOs were Sqn Ldrs Talton at the start (we had been Instructors together at the School at Shawbury), and Randell (I am not sure of the reading of that signature, my memory of names is terrible, and getting worse - perhaps you can help, is that right ?)
..."with Clutch Radar"...
So RAF(G) ? I was at Geilenkirchen '60-'62. Your dates in Germany ?

Tons more, but will keep till later.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Cows getting bigger (#2),

The farmers also started fires to burn off the stubble. At Leeming, the smoke often drifted across the A1 and disrupted traffic.

As it was (presumably) a big crop fire, and important to put it out ASAP, ATC would've committed both primary and standby crews and vehicles to the task (what was the local brigade doing, it was their responsibility, not yours ?) and so the airfield could not operate.

No blame to the RWC ...... "the wind bloweth where it listeth".

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Green Flash (#3),
..."She was found curled up in a ball under the table and the inside of the office looked like it had been cluster bombed, scorch marks all over the place. Somehow, she was completely unscathed"...
Wrote a Post once (cannot trace it now) based on a Tee Emm story from WWII. No aircraft movements, some airmen were larking about in the top tower. One got hold of the Verey pistol, did not check if it was loaded (it was) or if the safety catch was on (it wasn't). A WAAF got the flare in her mouth, and died a horrible death.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Much more on the stocks.

Cheers to all, Danny42C.