PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scary takeoff
Thread: Scary takeoff
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 18:08
LadyL2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zethon
I was on AA158 yesterday and I experienced one of the more nerve wracking takeoffs I've ever experienced in over several hundred flights.

Immediately after takeoff the plane started to turn to the left, no big deal. However after maybe a only a few thousand feet in the air, the plane's engines noticeably got quieter and we started to lose altitude. It struck me as particularly odd because the engines sounded like they had been cut and I know that turning requires more engine power, so I figured that's why we were losing altitude. This continued for a few seconds and then we very slowly started regain altitude but for a good minute or so the plane wobbled dramatically to the left and to the right and it felt like it was struggling to gain altitude. Eventually we leveled off and reached cruising altitude.

My girlfriend (also a frequent flyer) and I both were commenting how that take off seemed uncommon and were pontificating with our laymen knowledge about what might have been different.

I acknowledge I'm nothing more than a PAX who lurks this forum and other pilot/flying forums, so my knowledge is extremely limited. I am curious as to what might have happened? Was my nervousness legit?
Yu didn't lose altitude. All that happened was that the engines were rolled back slightly as no longer requiring full takeoff thrust and you leveled out momentarily and then started ascending again. Quite typical takeoff really, especially when noise abatement procedures are in place.

But it can certainly FEEL like the engines have died and you are falling.